Back to the Bible...
BLOG     TRAINING     TOOLS     TEAMS     GIVING

John 8:24

Posted 09/10/21, by Dan Vis

Have you ever noticed those little italicized words in your Bible? That means those words were supplied by the translators--but they are not actually in the original language.

Sometimes those additions make the verse more clear and easier to read. But sometimes they obscure the meaning. Here's one quick example--with the supplied word underlined:

John 8:24I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

It makes sense either way. It can mean we need to believe that Jesus is "He", the Messiah, the Christ. That Jesus was the one foretold in Scripture. That's probably how most people understand the verse.

But if you read it as originally written, the warning becomes more bold--we must believe Jesus is the "I Am". The eternal, self-existent one. The one who inhabits eternity. The alpha and omega, the beginning and the end. The one for whom there was never a time He did not exist.

In other words, I believe Jesus is making it clear we can't just see Him as a moral leader, philosopher, a prophet, or teacher. No, Jesus is fully God in human form.

There's little doubt in my mind that this is what Jesus was trying to communicate. Because as you read the entire dialog between Jesus and the religious leaders throughout this chapter--He circles back around to the exact same point:

John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

And this time there was no mistaking His intent. It was clear enough, in fact, they took up stones to try and kill Him.

It strikes me once again, that grasping the true identity of Jesus is the critical key. If we don't believe this one thing, we shall die in our sins.

Do you believe?

Can you help by sharing this article with a friend?
Use this link: https://fast.st/2021-09-10
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/13/21
We'll actually be talking about the sin problem this week Kelly, and next week I've got a series I've put together on faith. I second your prayer!

Amen John!
Posted by John Gilmore on 09/13/21
Yes! I acknowledge His identity, and I trust Him as my God, my Savior and my Lord.
Posted by Kelly on 09/13/21
May our belief lead to pure obedience that others may see Him in us. Matthew 5:16Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/12/21
Looks like we had about the same answer Colette! :)
Posted by Colette Guthrie on 09/12/21
Luis it seems that there are different types of belief. Devils believed (had mental knowledge) of Jesus' true identity but didn't acknowledge Him as Lord. Rather they trembled (in fear of judgment). See Matthew 8:29And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?.

James 2:20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?, the next verse gives a clue, that faith without works is dead. In the devils' case, genuine belief would have resulted in worship.
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/12/21
Yes, I've encountered that view as well Everton. And yes, lost friends. :( But this verses makes clear we can follow that path, and must speak out against it. I do have some resources on this in another place. Reach out if you are interested.

Amen Kenneth!

This verse gives a necessary condition for salvation, but not a sufficient one Luis. That is, we need to believe Jesus is the I Am, but that alone is not enough--as you point out, the devils do that. The very next verse from the one you referenced makes it clear, that a faith that does not lead to works (and love, reverence, trust, commitment, etc...) is a dead faith and unable to save. So clearly, we need to know who Jesus is--but it needs to be a faith that compels us to give ourselves fully to Him. Great question!
Posted by Luis Fernando Quirarte on 09/11/21
I have a question, in the Bible we hear repeatedly that if you believe that Jesus is the Son of God, you will be saved.

Jesus is definitely the Great I AM.

However, we also see in the Bible that while Jesus was alive on earth, the devils acknowledged Jesus's true identity that He was the Holy One sent from God (see also James 2:19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.).

How do you understand the belief that is needed for salvation?
Posted by Kenneth Onye Ine on 09/11/21
Yes, I do believe!
Posted by Everton Guthrie on 09/10/21
I have noticed that some popular people in our church have lost their way by trying to discredit Jesus. I have lost friends because i told them I wanted no part with such doctrines. We tend to make God like ourselves instead of seeing the loveliness of a God who would stoop so łow. How lovely he is. How dim witted we are. Only God could save us. Titus 2:13Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;.
Thanks Dan
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/10/21
It is important to study carefully, compare translations, and check out the original languages as best we can. And you are definitely right Mary about the Bible teaching Jesus is God. The thoughts above show just how serious it is to reject Jesus as eternal. Jesus Himself said we would die in our sins! Doesn't get much more serious than that...
Posted by Mary Nicholas on 09/10/21
Misuse of words or a simple adding of a word can be dangerous Before Covid isolation began, two JW ladies came to my door. They came several times and left literature. I tried to find in their New World Translation verses they did not twist, trying to prove in their Bible that Jesus is God. It was tedious and I must admit their translation really torques the brain. Sooo wrong I did find 2 verses, unfortunately they never came back. It really emphasizes the need for word perfect memorization. And comparing different translations for understanding. I think I compared verses in at least 10 translations. They all showed Jesus is God .
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/10/21
Thank you Theda! So many beautiful verses in the Bible for sure. Such a blessing as we share together, isn't it?
Posted by Theda Phyllis Rall on 09/10/21
Pastor The most Beautiful verses I learned I got to know from this Website.You had that in one project
Some time ago
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/10/21
You are very welcome Bert. We have a whole set of verses in our Bible Boosts area called the I Am's of Jesus. Definitely some great verses there... Thanks so much for your kind words!
Posted by Bert Hopkins on 09/10/21
ThankYou very much for this message Dan. I love in the Bible where Jesus speaks of Himself as the I Am . Praise God for our wonderful Saviour. ThankYou for all that You are doing at Fast Missions
God Bless You and all the workers. Regards Bert.
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/10/21
What a beautiful passage Theda! Awesome. :)
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/10/21
Wow, that's quite a few titles there Bill! :)

It is a challenge to share sometimes Kathryn. Just as with us, it takes a miracle of God for others to see Jesus for who He really is. Vital that we keep praying!
Posted by Kathryn D. Search on 09/10/21
YES, YES, YES.   There is so much evidence in the word of God, and nature bears it out also. He wasn't just a good person, He is our creator and Redeemer. We are nothing without Him. Now to convince others of this, sometimes takes a lot of work, but it is always worth it.
Posted by Bill Hough on 09/10/21
I believe Jesus is the All Powerful Self Existent God of all creation. Saviour, High Priest, the Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. King, Lord of hosts, Counsellor. And more.
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/10/21
Praise God Aster, Vincent.

As for capitalization, usually words that refer to God are capitalized. If I remember correctly the word "Yahweh" is a form of the verb "to be", and can mean eternal one, or the one "who is". In other words, by calling Himself the I Am, Jesus was claiming His divinity. So cool...
Posted by Vincent Mweemba on 09/10/21
Yes I believe. He is I AM.
Kindly explain why the use of capital letters on 'I AM'
Posted by Aster on 09/10/21
Yes, I do

Join the Discussion!

Want to read more articles, or leave a comment of your own? Please login. Not yet a member? Why not join our community...