Your Mission in Life
July 02, 2018

I was fortunate to have some friends take me under their wings when I first became a Christian, and teach me the basics of discipleship. I learned how to pray, study, memorize God's Word, and much more. I will be forever thankful for that training.

One of the things they encouraged me to do, was to adopt a personal mission statement. They explained that spending time alone with God to discern His purpose for my life, and then summarizing that purpose in a single sentence, would be a great help in steering my life. I could memorize it, apply it instantly to every significant decision I faced, and thus stay focused on Christ's will for me.

“A personal mission statement can steer us through the many transitions of life.”

Click to Tweet

I tried it, and it worked exactly as promised. It was like a big rudder on the great ship of life.

Biblical Examples

I'm not sure any of the Bible writers did this exactly, but there are a number of verses that seem to capture the "mission statements" of various Bible characters quite well. John the Baptist clearly understood his mission and expressed it in these words: "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30He must increase, but I must decrease.). You can find a good mission statement for Jesus in the very next chapter: "My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work" (John 4:34Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.). Paul articulated his mission as a minister this way: "We preach [Christ] warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus" (Colossians 1:28Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:).

David is another great example. Here is how he expressed his singular yearning for God: "One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple" (Psalms 27:4One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.). As he grew older, his life mission shifted a bit: "Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come" (Psalms 71:18Now also when I am old and greyheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.). Our mission statement may shift as we go through various stages of life as well.

My Journey In Mission

My own mission statement has changed through the years. I initially adopted a mission statement suggested by a ministry leader I respected:

To know, love and glorify God, and be used of Him to raise up qualified laborers in significant numbers as fast as possible to help fulfil the Great Commission.

Some time soon after, a good friend with a great passion for the poor shared how he had added a phrase about ministering to the multitudes. So I added it to mine as well:

To know, love and glorify God, and be used of Him to raise up qualified laborers in significant numbers as fast as possible to help fulfil the Great Commission, while ministering to the needs of many.

After I got married, I decided to add another phrase:

To know, love and glorify God, and be used of Him to raise up qualified laborers in significant numbers as fast as possible to help fulfil the Great Commission, while ministering to the needs of many and to lead my family to do the same.

This worked for a number of years, but I eventually started to feel it was a bit wordy, and I wanted something simpler. Somewhere I read this statement which I really liked: "To know Christ and make Christ known". But it lacked the detail I wanted. I also wanted something more personal, something in my own words. I eventually came up with this:

To know Christ intimately through a life of diligent discipleship while focusing my life towards the task of making disciples".

I finally had a statement that was truly mine, and it captured my understanding of God's purpose for me better than anything up to that point. And it served well for a number of years. But over time, God began to teach me more about the importance of small duties--so it went through a critical revision:

To know Christ intimately through a life of diligent discipleship while fulfilling every God-given responsibility with excellence, and focusing my life towards the task of making disciples.

This particular statement served as a powerful source of direction in my life for more than a decade, guiding me through a number of important life transitions. Together with the various earlier iterations of it, it brought a clarity and purpose to my life I don't think I would have had otherwise. The impact was huge.

“The impact of clarity and purpose on our life is huge.”

Click to Tweet

How To Write a Mission Statement

There's no magic formula for writing out a mission statement, nor is there any perfect articulation. While God has a general will for all His created beings, He has a specific purpose for each of our lives. And it is a part of our Christian journey to seek out and grow in our understanding of what that purpose is.

Having said that there are a few steps you can take to write out your mission statement:

1) Set aside some extended time alone with God. Spend plenty of time in prayer and study to get "in tune" with God before attempting to write out your mission statement.

2) Ask God to guide you. Trust His willingness to reveal your reason for existence. He made you. He has a plan for you. And He is eager for you to cooperate with Him in fulfilling that plan.

3) Identify your gifts and abilities. What activities motivate and energize you? What are your core values, beliefs? Your current life goals and priorities? Where have you enjoyed your greatest past successes? Our mission is often linked to the unique way God has made us.

4) Remember that your life mission statement is not some goal you choose for yourself. It is an exercise in attempting to discern God's purpose for you. Listen for His still small voice speaking to you through inspired sources.

5) Start writing. Try to keep it simple but specific. Do a couple different versions and then take the best from each. Combine all the best components into no more than a single sentence.

Once you have a mission statement you feel comfortable with, memorize it and review it daily. If you use cards for your verses, write it out on a card and slip it in your verse pack. If not,post it somewhere you will see it often. Then practice using your statement when confronted with a choice. Use it to evaluate goals and priorities. Look for ways to take specific steps to inch towards your mission every day. Little by little it will begin to create big change.

Be patient in this process, and expect your mission statement to go through a few revisions. And as noted above, it may shift as you go through the various seasons of life. Set aside time every so often to review your mission statement to make sure it still inspires and motivates you. Update it as your understanding grows.

Conclusion

My personal journey is certainly not over. After becoming a pastor, my mission statement changed again to something even more inspiring (for me, at least). And I continue to seek God on a regular basis, anticipating and listening for Him to reveal even clearer perceptions of life and duty. And He continues to teach me.

This process has been an important part of my Christian journey. Give it a try, and you may just find it a valuable part of yours as well.

Take the Next Step

Want to move from knowing your mission, to fulfilling it? Try our all new class from FAST called Laws of Leadership. Discover biblical secrets for bringing change into the world, with a special emphasis on leadership in the local church. FREE through the month of July...

Tell Me More...

Comments

How important is having clarity about your purpose in life? How can it help you? Do you have a personal mission statement? If so, please share it with our community?

Posted by Dan Vis on 09/24/18
Guess I could have checked to see if you were signed up Paul! :) Glad you are in both of those classes and glad you have been enjoying them. The weather here is on the downside. We're expecting our first freeze by the end of the week. Then long months of severe cold ahead. People here are trying to get out while they still can... :)
Posted by Paul Carson on 09/23/18
Unleashed is excellent material. Have a bit of catch-up to complete Worker Tools. The weather has been kind so have been outdoors. It's sowing/planting season and I'm somewhat behind on the preparation phase. As in the physical, so too in the spiritual! I am so grateful that God is prompting me with thoughts that I add to my notes each day. He is gently patient yet the need for urgency is always there (John 9:4I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.).
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/23/18

Great Paul! And glad you enjoyed the leadership class. Are you doing Unleashed, by the way? That's our current featured class. Something every leader should really understand.

Qing, that's good. I think it hits the same 3 key areas as in my mission statement, just different words. Hope the time you invested in this bears great fruit in your life!

Posted by Qing Ling on 09/22/18

Paul that's great.

Dan I finally got around to working mine out with God:
To behold Christ and reflect His character, challenging others to also call Him Lord.

Posted by Paul Carson on 07/22/18

By example, to place my will on the side of God's will, and to encourage others to do likewise.

Appreciated the Laws of Leadership classes Dan. Grace & Peace to you and yours.
By God's grace I will do a better work in the way I 'encourage others'.

Posted by Dan Vis on 07/09/18
You're the best Qing!
Posted by Qing Ling on 07/06/18
Appreciate the feedback and challenge Dan. Challenge accepted:)
It was the Bible verse itself.
Posted by Dan Vis on 07/05/18

Sounds like you have a real ministry Carole! Glad you have found your path in life. And you are right, as we get older we see how important it is to live a focused life. The quicker we get started, the better!

That's a good goal Joyce! There's some information in Basic Training, the last lesson as I recall. We should probably put up more training on how to create one at some point however.

Qing, that's one of my favorite verses and a good mission. I'd challenge you though to consider writing one of your own that is more specific and practical. How are you going to seek the Lord? What does that look like? What's the desired outcome of that kind of life? How does it look in terms of important relationships, work, ministry. You want something you can apply in as many situations as possible. Of course, there's a balance between concise and comprehensive. Anyway, just some thoughts.

Or is the paragraph below your mission statement? Or is that just a commentary on what that verse means to you? Maybe now I'm confused a bit! :)

Posted by Qing Ling on 07/04/18

My first exercise coming up with a LMS was when studying the Moral Machinery conference with FAST many years ago. It has served me well and I haven't found the need to change it:

Psalms 27:4

With the Lord ever before me, I feel safe in wherever I'm heading in life. There's no other place I would rather be than at the feet of Jesus like Mary was. It ties in beautifully also with the promise of Matthew 6:33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Posted by Joyce Augustinis on 07/02/18
I don't have a personal mission statement yet, but I definitely have a more organized way of studying and learning and growing in discipleship than before I started with FAST. I will have to work on a mission statement this year, since I am looking for direction and these memo's and challenges are helping me pull things together.
Posted by Carole Bliss on 07/02/18
I feel its important to have a clear purpose in life. As we age, we see how quickly life flies. It makes it clear to me, we must make good use of our time here, while we have the time. I am an Elder and a prayer coordinator.
I feel I need to get in touch with people who are going through trials, encourage them, pray for them and with them. I have a long prayer list, I pray for each day. Our Lord keeps these names in my mind. I want to be sensitive to people, and be able to share my beliefs with them. This is my mission. It brings meaning to my life and a purpose. The Lord has grown me, in this journey . I could not have done this on my own. We have many prayer groups we are involved in. To us, its the church. Blessing, Carole
Posted by Dan Vis on 07/02/18

So important to keep our LMS current isn't it Valerie. Of course it's even more important to review it regularly! Glad you have been able to dust if off and pull it out again. :)

And love your testimony Laurie! So beautiful to hear how the Lord is using you. Glad our training could be a help to you. Love how the things you have been learning fit together so nicely with your mission statement. Awesome!

Posted by Laurie Wissink on 07/02/18

I'm going through the Discipleship training program right now. Just started Team Tactics. It wasn't too long ago that I wrote out my first Life Mission Statement "Inspire others to desire discipleship training, both young and old, through my life and actions.
I Timothy 4:15Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.; Isaiah 60:22A little one shall become a thousand, and a small one a strong nation: I the LORD will hasten it in his time.

Two weeks ago I was asked out of the clear blue to 'preach' last week's sermon (very unusual). I happened to be memorizing Mark 3:14And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach, with that week's lesson and strangely I accepted. While praying about what I should share I remembered the 4 step training recipe and my new mission statement. Using these as guides I was able to present a talk on the importance of scripture memorization (a subject I am passionate about) and I felt confident about the subject because it is in line with scripture and my mission statement. The 4 step training recipe gave it structure. This was a GIANT step for me as I am very shy.

Thanks for the training Dan!

Posted by Valerie Wise Burrell on 07/02/18
I have also written and re-written my Personal Mission Statement but after reading this today, I realize it is okay to do that based on where I am in my life. In fact, reading this now causes me to remember that I have a Mission Statement which has not been reviewed at all this year! Thank you for the great reminder.
Blessings
Posted by Amy on 11/18/17
Never mind, Dan . Got tangled up as to what page I was on. ~GRIN~
Posted by Amy on 11/18/17
Read it, but can't mark it as completed Dan
Posted by Marsha on 07/16/17
Thank you, Pastor Vis. I am sure as I continue to grow through prayer,study, and experience I will gain additional insights that will result in my re-visiting and updated my personal mission statement.
Posted by Dan Vis on 07/16/17
Nice statements Marsha and Jackie. Just remember, they are to be a work in progress. It's important to regularly review them and update them as the Lord leads us step by step through our life. But these are both a great start!!!
Posted by Jacqueline on 07/14/17
Too live out my life purpose to serve my creator Redeemer and to share the joy through song and bible study, in whatever way to please my Father God.
Posted by Marsha on 07/14/17
My working mission statement: I have been called, chosen, consecrated, and commissioned, to take this gospel of the kingdom to my loved ones first and foremost and then to the world around me.
Posted by Dan Vis on 07/14/17

Glad you found this helpful Marsha. Focus is so important. If you haven't taken it yet, you might consider doing the Lifefocus challenge. It may help you in your pursuit of greater focus.

Thanks again for sharing Kathy. Love your story illustrating the difference between a general direction and a specific direction. Makes a great point! All the best coming up with a statement...

Posted by Kathy Rosenberger on 07/12/17
Thank you for this insight. Having recently chosen to think 'close enough is good enough' when using a map and ended on the wrong track and walking many extra miles, I appreciate the need to be specific. God has shown me that I have a tendency to overlook details and just head in the general direction. A personal mission statement will help tremendously.
Posted by Marsha on 07/10/17

I so appreciate this challenge to write my personal mission statement. I need a focus as well as direction at this time in my life so that I can fulfill the Lord's purpose for my life while attending school full time.

Marsha

Posted by Fiona van Wyk on 07/08/17
You will do fine, Nena. God is with you. John 14:23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.. He helps us with this great task. :-)
Posted by Nena on 07/07/17
Valerie,Thank you for your encouragement.
Fiona,Thank you for praying for me,I will try my best. God bless you
Posted by Fiona van Wyk on 07/06/17

Nena - I will keep you in prayer, Nan. It is a high calling to raise our children - one of the highest. We are raising the next generation of society. What a calling!

A comment for you Dan and Lillian from Valerie.

You are welcome, Valerie. We need encouragement. I will keep you in prayer too, that you may fulfill your Mission Statement. :-)

Posted by Valerie Wise Burrell on 07/05/17

Nan, your Mission Statement is touching and one that God honors very highly.

Dan, Lillian and Fiona you have given me great encouragement; thank you very much. Please pray that I will fulfill my Mission Statement in Jesus' Name in His strength.

Posted by Dan Vis on 07/05/17
Hi Lillian. That was a bit strange. It's fixed now for you. :)
Posted by Lillian E. Cepeda on 07/04/17

Dan,
I did update my profile a while ago, and it shows the correct name in it, but the name does not change when I write comments.

Thank you!

Posted by Lillian E. Cepeda on 07/04/17
Valerie,
This is an awesome statement. When I was working, now am retired, I had a similar mission during my clinical time with my patients. God works in mysterious ways and I hope and pray that your mission be successful by the grace of the Lord, and for his glory.
Posted by Nena on 07/04/17
Fiona Thank you very much. Pray for a long time, I hope to know more clearly about my mission and responsibility, god let me know that the special situation of children needs more attention and care. My responsibility is to be in the family.
Posted by Fiona van Wyk on 07/04/17

It is a beautiful mission statement, Valerie! May God bless you with much wisdom as you work with troubled marriages and individuals.

That's also a lovely mission statement, Nena! I have a daughter too, and without thinking purposefully of that at that time, that was my focus too. May God bless you too, as you work towards that goal. :-)

Posted by Nena on 07/04/17
My mission.Be a good role model for my daughter and train her to be a useful person
Posted by Dan Vis on 07/03/17

Lillian, just click on your name to go to your profile and then click the update button to change your name. Let me know if you have any trouble...

Wow, I love the statement you came up with Valerie. Later this month I plan to post an article about the difference between a mission and vision statement which you may find helpful. But I definitely like what you came up with!

Posted by Valerie Wise Burrell on 07/02/17
This post is very helpful to me. I have had Mission Statements with Daily Objectives in my Prayer Journal that had a lead text for the Mission Statement like Mark 11:23For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.. The post helped me to see that I still do not have a clearly stated purpose even though I have texts that show faith in God, I have not defined what the faith in God is to do.
I have an idea for a ministry, Bread of Life: A Ministry of Healing.   Here is my Mission Statement for it and all that I do in my clinical practice and life: To expose the strongholds of Satan in families through individual, couples/marital and group Biblical counseling.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Posted by Lillian E. Cepeda on 07/01/17
Please
Posted by Lillian E. Cepeda on 07/01/17
Dan, When you can, lease fix my last name to read: Cepeda.
I will appreciate it.
😃😃😃
Posted by Lillian E. Cepeda on 07/01/17

Yes, Fiona sharing the gospel is one of my priorities. Praying and studying the Word would equip us to share with others what we've learned. Which reminds me of a class that is coming soon which will help us be prepare to answer questions with the Bible. Thank you for sharing Luke 19:10For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

Dan, thank you for sharing Psalms 90:12So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

Posted by Fiona van Wyk on 07/01/17

Good statements, Lillian! I am thinking of one verse that goes with one of your statements, and that is Luke 19:10For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.. Christ came to share the good news of salvation with mankind, and we are to do so too. This is also my mission statement. This verse stood out for me while doing my review the other day. :-)

Yes, it is true, Dan - it is good to be reminded of Psalms 90:12So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom..

Posted by Dan Vis on 06/30/17
Great point Fiona! Reminds me of Psalms 90:12So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom..
Posted by Lillian E. Cepeda on 06/29/17
My purpose in life/ mission statement: To love Jesus with all my heart. To share the good news of salvation with others. To be holy and faithful to my Lord and Savior, and to stay connected to the True Vine.
John 15:5I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Posted by Fiona van Wyk on 06/28/17

Another lovely picture, Dan, for the topic. :-) A picture speaks a thousand words ... :-)

I appreciated this post, Dan. When one considers that life is actually quite short, then a purposed life-statement is very important. It brings things into focus, and helps us aim correctly, for the goal at the end. I am working on my mission statement ...with God's help ...

Posted by Angie Leimena on 06/27/17
I cant thank you enough, Amin Dan.
Posted by Dan Vis on 06/27/17
You are more than welcome, Angie. Glad this encouraged you to seek God's purpose for you more fully. Praise God!
Posted by Angie Leimena on 06/27/17
Thank you so much for motivating me to seek GOD with your experience of seeking GOD with a purpose for HIM and made it into a mission for yourself. I envy that. How good that is, simple being that I am, I am motivated to try. Thank you.
Posted by Dan Vis on 06/27/17
I think it is one of the questions all of us ask at times. We just don't spend the time answering it that we should. :) Glad this little nudge was helpful Clarris Magadza!
Posted by Clarris Magadza on 06/26/17
I have always, and still wonder, what my purpose is? Thank you Dan for this idea. I would never have thought of having a mission statement.
Posted by Carole Bliss on 06/26/17

Seeking His Word, Abiding in Christ, Earnest in Prayer, sharing Him with
others, serving Him well.

This is my mission statement.

Posted by Dan Vis on 06/26/17

Great mission statement John! Very well done. I'm sure that took some time to pull together. Glad this info has been helpful to you.

Carole, super excited to hear your commitment to try doing this. That verse (Matthew 6:33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.) is a great illustration of the need for clarity of focus.

Take your time seeking God in this. I'm sure He will communicate something helpful and inspiring...

Posted by Carole Bliss on 06/26/17
Thank-you Dan for this message.
I do understand the need to have a personal Mission Statement.
I will spend time with God in prayer. and when I see clearly what mine
is, I will write, and share it.
One verse that comes to mind right now, Seeking first the Kingdom of God
and His Righteousness, this is my morning prayer verse.
God bless, Carole