Back to the Bible...
BLOG     TRAINING     TOOLS     TEAMS     GIVING

Viewing FAST on Your Phone

October 09, 2016

Want to put a handy shortcut on your phone that goes straight to FAST? Perhaps you would like several shortcuts on your phone, each to different sections of our site? It's super easy. Here's how...

A phone showing several shortcuts

We frequently get asked whether or not FAST has an app for apple or android phones. And the answer is no, we've made a careful decision to not do that.

Why? Because there's a super easy way to add an icon to your phone's home screen that will give you complete access to our entire site. We've worked hard to make our mobile site as simple and useful as our desktop version. And we want you to have the latest of everything we offer.

So rather than going through your app store, give this approach a try instead:

Apple Phones:

1. Open the Safari browser on your phone and load our site (www.fastmissions.com). Go to whatever page you want to make instantly available. We recommend the home page.

2. Look for an icon at the bottom of the screen, that looks like an arrow pointing away from a box, and click it.

3. Several icons for sharing will pop up. Scroll up on that screen for more options and look for an "Add to Home Screen" option. Click that.

4. Your phone may suggest a name for the icon like "Home" or "Tools." Feel free to overwrite this with "FAST" or "FAST TOOLS" or whatever.

Here's a video showing how to do this on an ipad.

Here's a special note for Apple users, if your phone keeps logging you out each time you visit our site. For some reason Apple disables cookies for some site by default. Here's a quick google search showing you how to enable cookies. Once that's done, you should go straight in each time, no problem.

Android Phones

1. Launch the Chrome browser on your phone and load our site (www.fastmissions.com). Go to whatever page you want to make instantly available. We recommend the home page.

2. Look for an icon in the top right corner that looks like three dots, and click it.

3. Several options pop up, including one called "Add to Home Screen". Choose that.

Here's a video showing how to do this on android.

Once your icon is created, you can move it around and use it just like any other icon. Just use the normal method for doing that based on your operating system. And be sure to put the FAST icon somewhere you can access easily!

Once you have got the hang of it you can create additional icons to different sections of our site: the memory engine, or your verse pack, some class you are taking, your training team, or whatever. Add as many or as few icons as you want!

That's all there is to it...

Comments

So what do you think? Is this a good alternative to an app? What sections or pages have you created a shortcut for? Did you have any trouble doing that? How important is it to have access to our whole site on your phone?

Can you help by sharing this article with a friend?
Use this link: http://fast.st/105/
Posted by Dan Vis on 07/12/21
You are very welcome Margaret. Definitely makes things easier, doesn't it? I just switched to an iphone myself so I could help debug things. Hopefully I'll be able to provide a little better support for IOS users in the future as a result.
Posted by Margaret Major on 07/11/21
This is great! Thank you so much. That icon is now on my iPhone so I can access it anywhere, anytime when I have spare time. Most useful. Wishing you much of God's blessing.

Posted by Dan Vis on 04/26/21
Great job Wayne! Note--when I finalize this featured (probably an engine setting and a timer=true/false or timer=on/off) you may need to reset your shortcut. So don't forget how you did it!
Posted by Wayne Senner on 04/26/21
I finally got it to work thanks.
Posted by Dan Vis on 04/25/21
Not sure what is going on exactly Wayne, but you do have to have the right url (with the timer code added) before making the shortcut.

I'm planning to make this a configurable option right in the engine settings--and may change the string to &timer=true/false so a user can override their default settings. So it may not even be necessary once we get that change in place. Still just waiting a bit for feedback from the community...
Posted by Wayne Senner on 04/24/21
While I can make a shortcut to the daily review it never includes the timer.
Thanks
Wayne
Posted by Dan Vis on 03/10/21
No problem Julie. Glad it worked for you! It's much easier than having to find and download a bunch of apps, isn't it? :)
Posted by Julie Smith on 03/09/21
Wow! That's AWESOME! Thank you for your explicit instructions!
Posted by Dan Vis on 03/08/21
Glad you were able to figure it out Debbie. Works great for any of the tools on our site. And like you said, you can use it on other sites too! :)
Posted by Debbie on 03/08/21
Super easy to do because of exact instructions (at least for Android)! Great to know this for other things too - thanks!
Posted by Dan Vis on 02/03/21
Great job Denise! Glad you were able to get it figured out. :) Remember you can create shortcuts to any pages you like.
Posted by Denise Brown on 02/02/21
Thank you, Dan. I googled it and have done it successfully.
Posted by Dan Vis on 01/31/21
Denise, it might be at the top of the page, I'm not sure. You can google "how to add a shortcut to an iphone 6" or something and it will probably show you exactly how to do it.
Posted by Denise Brown on 01/31/21
I have an Apple 6 iPhone and I cannot see an icon at the bottom.
Posted by Dan Vis on 01/27/21
Foo, I'd recommend creating a shortcut to the Verse Pack in our tools area (rather than the home page) and start putting verses there you want to memorize. Our Crash Course gives you a few tips on how to memorize--but you are free to choose any verses you like. We do have several resources like our Bible Boosts and Memory Club which can suggest verses to memorize, and some of our classes (like the Survival Kit) have assigned verses--but mostly we encourage people to memorize verses that truly speak to them individually.
Posted by Janie Foo on 01/27/21
I have just created the home icon. But I still don't know from which part of yr programme or where I can actually start learning the verses.
Posted by Dan Vis on 11/23/20
Great, glad it worked for you Becky. Remember you can put multiple links on your phone, including links to any tool or page you frequent.

As for your verse pack, I think 8-10 verses is about max. Any more than that and your pre-memorizing starts to become more timely and less efficient. I don't know there's a hard rule however. Good question!
Posted by Becky Friberg on 11/22/20
Dan Question for you...how many verses do you recommend to have in the verse pack?
Posted by Becky Friberg on 11/22/20
Finally did this!!! Super easy.
Posted by Dan Vis on 11/04/20
Reach out if you have trouble Stella. Or watch the video above depending on your phone type. It's way easier to do than to explain! :)
Posted by Stella on 11/03/20
A little complicated for me, but I’ll ask my daughter Kelly to give me a hand since she is in this program for a long time.
Blessings
Posted by Dan Vis on 11/02/20
Great job Mary Alice! Once you get the hang of it, it's not too hard. :)
Posted by Mary Alice Holz on 11/01/20
Well, I'm not sure how, and it took about 5 tries, but suddenly the icon is there!! k LOL (I'm sure it's me. I'm not very techy.) Thanks, Dan.
Posted by Dan Vis on 10/29/20
Great job Joan. Remember you can create multiple links to different pages if there are sections you like to use a lot. :)
Posted by Joan Robinson on 10/28/20
I have created a shortcut of the app on my phone.
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/14/20
That's great LINDAH! Remember you can put a shortcut to any section of the FAST site you like. You can even create multiple shortcuts and put them all on a screen, or inside a folder. Whatever you need!
Posted by LINDAH OCHIENG on 09/13/20
Succeeded on putting FAST on my screen. Hope it be a blessing.
Posted by Dan Vis on 06/14/20
That's awesome Beverley. Glad it was easy for you. Remember, you can create separate links to different sections: like one to your verse pack and another to your daily review, etc. I have about 6 links on my phone!
Posted by Beverley on 06/12/20
That was GREAT! I'm really impressed and happy to have quick access to FAST in order to view the verses I am memorizing. Welcome to the 21st century! Technology has its benefits.
Posted by Dan Vis on 05/27/20
So glad you finally joined us Nan! Some things are harder to figure out than others, but you can always reach out if you have a question about anything!
Posted by Nan Rice on 05/24/20
I just completed putting FAST on my phone. It is great. Why did I hesitate when I first joined. I have to keep my head in the 21st century.

Thanks for the info.
Posted by Dan Vis on 04/30/20
Definitely makes it easy Frances, I have one of my screens partly dedicated to FAST with about 6 icons to different sections I use all the time. Sure saves time!
Posted by Frances E. Jamison on 04/30/20
I love having the Icon on my phone that way where ever I am I can open up Fast and study.
Posted by Dan Vis on 04/18/20
Glad that worked for you sylvia. Definitely comes in handy to have some shortcuts on your phone. :)
Posted by sylvia on 04/18/20
Why not! :). An icon is an icon and as long as we can use everything, its great! Praise the Lord! I use that option often.
Sylvia
Posted by Dan Vis on 04/13/20
Wow! Thanks Margaret. Appreciate you sharing. We're happy to put any version up that we can get permission to use! Unfortunately most of the modern versions are copyrighted and not accessible to us.
Posted by Margaret Major on 04/13/20
Dan Yes indeed I have posted it to Twitter and to my Avondale Memorial Church group Facebook page. I am excited about FASTMissions and all you have to offer on this site. Younger people may prefer other versions than the KJV but you give that option. I pray everyone will send this to their own home churches FB pages.
Posted by Dan Vis on 04/13/20
Thanks Margaret! Glad to know these changes are making things better for you. And hopefully for everyone! :)
Posted by Margaret Major on 04/13/20
That is really great thank you Pastor Dan and the team. And thank you ever so much for the wonderful new additions. Love the 'Search' feature and the new 'Verse Pack' feature. Keep up the great work with technology skills to this site. Really good. Blessings.
Posted by Dan Vis on 04/06/20
That's great Joan! Glad you got it working. Remember on mobile you can click the FAST icon up at the top of any page and get to our main resource page, which allows you to get to any other part of our site in just a click or two.
Posted by Joan Robinson on 04/05/20
Very straightforward to follow the steps for my Android software, I don't like adding apps - takes up too much space capacity on the phone.   Yes, good alternative to an app - can continue where you left off. No trouble, at all, only where to find the icon(s). So had to watch the video for guidance - which I found very helpful.
I think its good to have minimal access of the site on my phone at a time so that I can keep focussed.
Posted by Dan Vis on 04/02/20
You are very welcome Patricia. Now you can do this for any section of our site you lke, or any other site for that matter!
Posted by Patricia K. Rogers on 04/02/20
It was easy. Thank you Dan and the team!
Posted by Dan Vis on 03/28/20
Great! Glad it worked for you Vivienne. Remember, if you want to create shortcuts to several different sections of our site, you can put them all on a separate screen or inside a folder. All the best!
Posted by Vivienne Fowler on 03/28/20
Thanks Dan, yes it's a great idea!
Posted by Dan Vis on 03/10/20
If you have an iphone, you may need to enable cookies for the FAST site. For some reason Apple turns that off by default--requiring you to login each time. Here's a quick google search on how to do that: Enabling Cookies.

Also, if you have trouble adding a shortcut to the home page on your device, it may be your device considers our site untrusted. Here's how to fix that: Untrusted Shortcuts. I don't think this normally happens, but just in case...
Posted by Dan Vis on 02/14/20
You can do this for any page on our site Christine, or for that matter, any webpage on any website. Very handy little trick every one with a smart phone should know! :)

For that matter, you could create a folder on your phone and put several FAST pages in that folder so you have instant access to any section you frequently use. Pretty handy indeed!
Posted by Christine Wigglesworth on 02/14/20
Easy to follow instructions. This is a great alternative to an app! It is so handy for daily use to have this shortcut!
Posted by Dan Vis on 01/27/20
Hi Mario . Did you watch the videos? And can you tell me what kind of phone you have? There's a link to a video for both Android and IOS in the reading above. That will probably show you better exactly how to do it.

Or just do a google search on how to add a shortcut to your particular type of phone. It's just a click or two... If you still have trouble, let me know which of the the three steps you had trouble with. Once you get the hang of it, you can create all the shortcuts you want!
Posted by Mario Juson on 01/26/20
I was not able to do it. I need help. Thanks. God bless!

Join the Discussion!

Want to read more articles, or leave a comment of your own? Please login. Not yet a member? Why not join our community...