The Value of a Soul
August 19, 2018

This week we launched our all new Revival Keys class, which explores God's plan to empower believers for service. Our Spiritual Gifts class is also going strong this month, looking at the same theme from a different angle. Given these classes, it seemed a great idea to bring this week's memo back!

It is important to know the value of a soul. Having a healthy understanding of our own worth contributes to a sense of personal well-being. And understanding the worth of others improves how we relate to and treat those around us. But often, we fail to grasp the basis of our value as humans.

It's sometimes said we derive our value from the death of Jesus on the cross. I'd like to suggest the cross doesn't create our value, it reveals it. That is, we don't have value because Jesus died for us--Jesus died for us because we have value! But what is that value He saw?

Assuming our value is based on physical abilities, academic excellence, or physical attractiveness just leads to pride. We may assess each other's worth based on externals like these, but God does not. Those with unusual strength, intellect, or beauty are not more valuable to God than those without. And God does not view those with severe handicaps in one or another of these areas as worth less. Our true value lies elsewhere.

The fact is, God could have easily created new beings, to replace Adam and Eve after the fall, with even greater skills, talents, and abilities. Angels already far surpass us! But He didn't. And while sin has been steadily diminishing our potential for 6000 years, our value to God has not diminished one iota. God still sees something inherently valuable in us that compels Him to work for our redemption and restoration.

The Psalmist describes the value of our external abilities in these words:

Psalms 103:14
For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.

But even dust has value. And in fact, it is the key to understanding the innate value of a human soul--because dirt can be used to do something extremely important. Notice this passage by the Apostle Paul:

II Corinthians 4:6-7
6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Did you catch that? We are "earthen vessels". The value of clay is not in any of its intrinsic capabilities, but in the fact it can be molded and shaped into a container that can hold something of inestimable value. And the passage makes it clear what that treasure is: the glory of God.

“God sees value in us, because we can contain the glory of God within us, and reflect it to others.”

Click to Tweet

God sees innate value in us, because we have the capacity to contain some measure of the glory of God within us, and reflect that glory to others. His glory, of course, represents His character. And God's longing is for a people who will reveal that character, at last, to the entire waiting universe.

Paul clearly understood God's "intent" is for "the manifold wisdom of God" to be made known "by the church" unto all "the principalities and powers in heavenly places" (Ephesians 3:10To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,). His power working in us "is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think" resulting in the church bringing glory to God "throughout all ages, [worlds] without end" (Ephesians 3:20-2120 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, 21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.).

And curiously, this turns our normal notions of value on their head. For the greater our defect, handicap, or limitation, the greater our ability to glorify God! When Paul asked for his thorn to be taken away, God revealed to him that it actually increased his ability to reveal the Father's glory--that His strength was made more perfect in our weakness. Immediately, Paul burst out into praise:

II Corinthians 12:9-109 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

“Rather than 6000 years of sin diminishing our value, our weakened condition increases it!”

Click to Tweet

So you do have tremendous value to God--value in your capacity to contain within your heart the character of God, and reveal it to the world. And the people around you have that same incomprehensible potential as well, making them worth our best efforts. In fact, the weaker the vessel, the greater its ability to fulfill its purpose. The more valuable it becomes.

Jesus clearly saw our potential. He was willing to pay the ultimate price to redeem it! And one day soon He will gather together believers from around the world faithfully revealing the Father's glory to the universe, and settling the issues in the great controversy between good and evil forever. "He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied" (Isaiah 53:11He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.). It was worth it.

Take the Next Step

Want to learn more about God's plan for you life? Check out our exciting new Spiritual Gifts class. Explore the three categories of gifts described in the Bible and how they all work together to empower believers for ministry.

FREE through the month of August! Don't miss out...

Tell Me More...

Comments

Do you wrestle with properly understanding your value? Perhaps not appreciating it fully at times? Or perhaps over exaggerating it on occasion? How important is it to grasp the proper basis of our value?

Posted by Dan Vis on 08/26/19
No problem Karen! :) That auto correct can come up with some interesting things, sometimes.
Posted by Karen Williams on 08/26/19
Thanks. Dan Autocorrect really messed up my words that time. Thanks for figuring it out.
Posted by Dan Vis on 08/26/19

Thanks for sharing this Kjersti!

As with most things, there are different levels of understanding Karen. There will certainly be some aspects of sin and redemption they will never fully understand--because they will never have experienced it. Reminds me of the words to the old familiar hymn:

Holy, holy, is what the angels sing,
And I expect to help them make the courts of Heaven ring;
But when I sing redemption’s story, they will fold their wings,
For angels never felt the joys that our salvation brings.

I should also point out, that all of heaven, too, is seeking to know and reveal the character of God. I'm sure we'll learn lots from them too!

Posted by Karen Williams on 08/24/19
Question: if we are to reflect Gods glory to the universe, does this mean that even though the inhabitants have never sinner and can visit God any tiothey want that they die some reason do not actually know Him?
Posted by Kjersti on 08/24/19
My moyher liked the article, I red it to her. thank God for understanding, and for letting us know our value!
Posted by Dan Vis on 08/24/19
Heaven will indeed be a wonderful victory celebration, won't it?
Posted by Lillian E. Cepeda on 08/23/19
Thank you,Qing for tagging me to this beautiful encouraging words of wisdom.
God's love never fails .During the trial you feel helpless at times, but while we go through the fire the Lord is in it with us. Yes, you learn to empathize with those in need. It is a wonderful opportunity to come out of the trial triumphant in Jesus. I just can't imagine the joy in heaven. God is always good to us even though we don't see it until you fall at the foot of the cross. What a wonderful experience that is! A testimony to bring souls to the kingdom!
Posted by Dan Vis on 08/23/19
Nice thoughts Qing, about how empathy can come with maturity, and understanding our value as humans can help us see one another differently. Good post!
Posted by Qing Ling on 08/23/19

Doranita Lillian having gone through harsh experiences makes it easier to empathise with others who struggle too, doesn't it? And especially when you have found victory in Christ, you are able to then pass on that same skill of overcoming to the next person too :)

As I re-read this memo, I thought about how as one matures and experiences more of life's hardships, one develops more compassion for the next human being, because of greater empathy. Hurt people hurt people, as they say. So whenever I come across a hurtful person, I am challenged to view them as a fellow broken jar of clay, with as much potential as I have in all my own brokenness, to shine God's glory from their vessel -if only they would choose to be cleansed from the "soot of sin" to use Pam's analogy :)

Posted by Dan Vis on 07/22/19
So beautiful to hear how God has worked in your life Lillian. We are all indeed exquisitely valuable to God, and we all have unique potential for we can each reveal God in a way no one else quite can. Incredible thought...
Posted by Lillian E. Cepeda on 07/17/19

After twenty years of taking abuse and loss of personal value, I was finally, set free. I learned how valuable I am before God's presence. I learned how valuable I am to Jesus, that he gave His life for me. What a blessing it is to received the Holy Spirit through Christ's death!

Therefore, If the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.(NKJV) John 8:36If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Posted by Dan Vis on 09/25/18
Wow, thanks for sharing a bit of your story Doranita. Your testimony about the power of knowing our value, and the ministry you are building sounds powerful. I wish you all the best!
Posted by Doranita Tyler on 09/25/18
I believe it's very important to understand your value. Currently I'm taking the Worker Tools training. I've identified my target group to be women impacted by domestic violence. It's hard to understand how a person can allow themselves to live in this environment if you haven't lived it yourself. I chose this group because I am a survivor. I struggled then to understand that I had any value. I felt absolutely worthless and ashamed. Truly learning to know Christ and understand His love for you is powerful. I find myself connecting with Mary and the Woman at the well. Embracing how their lives changed once they encountered Christ is the message I strive to embrace and desire to share with others.
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/06/18
That is a powerful thought Barbara! Thanks for sharing how that has changed your life. Understanding our value and the value of others can be truly life-changing. Appreciate your comment!
Posted by Barbara Davis on 09/06/18

Several months ago God used the reality of "Christ died FOR ALL" to get this point through to me. It has, and continues, to change so much of my thinking and praying. It gives me the confidence to meet every person with a vision of them in the kingdom--especially those who appear to want to be enemies.

Over the years I have had many doubts, and continued attending and being active in church because I knew that is where my children needed to be. Now I am understanding that it is not about being active, but knowing Him and allowing Him to lead me to the work He has for me. Makes the Christian walk a joy: Matthew 11:28-3028 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light..

Posted by Dan Vis on 09/04/18

What a wonderful testimony Helene! I can't imagine what your situation would be like (we did take care of Vi's mom the last few years of her life while she battled terminal illness) but it's beautiful to see who God is sustaining you.

I love this line: "He's been more and more to me these past 5 years than ever before".

I'm sure you will have a great reward for your faithful service. Whether here or in the world to come doesn't really matter. What matters is the reward is sure...

Posted by Helene on 09/04/18
Considering our weakness to be one of our points of value is an incredible and liberating idea just now. The task I am doing in my home is impossible. I can't count the number of times medical professionals and others have told me I have to give up and put one or more of our seniors in a nursing home. There have been times when I have sat on the kitchen floor in the night and told God with tears that I just can't do this anymore. Then, in the stillness, He asks me if I am willing to ask Him for one more hour. When I do, He asks that again. And 4-1/2 years later, we're still doing this together -- God and me. I don't know how it will all end up, but I know He's been more and more to me these past 5 years than ever before, and I am going to hold my head up and rejoice that He can show Himself strong in my situation, even though I am inside these four walls almost all of the time and often feel like I'm not doing anything of significance.
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/04/18

Beautiful comments everyone. Looks like this memo sparked some wonderful meditation.

Narelle, love you thoughts about creativity. One reason I like the new ministry model we're teaching in Unleashed is the infinite creativity it allows.

Love how you connected those two verses Paul. Powerful! I can see a great sermon in there...

So true Valerie, about the great number of people who struggle with their identity and worth. But praise God, the Bible affirms our value so powerfully!

Posted by Valerie Wise Burrell on 09/04/18
The thought that the cross reveals our value is one that is worth contemplating each day. I see people in my therapy practice who have been devalued by sin and feel hopeless but I am grateful that I can turn them to the One whose love is stronger than death. I can point them to their value as revealed in the cross, to Christ and Him crucified.
Posted by Paul Carson on 09/03/18
Luke 7:46-4846 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. 47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. comes to mind as I ponder this blessed memo.Then I connect that with Genesis 3:15And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.. Mary anoints the One whose heel was to be bruised as it bruises (crushes) the head of the serpent (Satan). Mary's love for God (the reflection of her value in Christ) is acknowledged, accepted and appreciated by Jesus, and her many sins forgiven. The Cross was yet to come but Love had already come, in this instance, to Mary.
Posted by Narelle Coyte on 09/03/18
I resonate with your thoughts here Dan and beautifully paraphrased with Qing view of the clay vase. Creativity is the very heart of Gods character stamped on every soul. Meier dust it maybe, but God ceated the entire universe with it, so valued, yet we trample on it....Unless we take the time to examine and then to create...Faith + action = beauty
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/03/18
Cool Pam! I think Qing nailed the picture for me in her comment on 5/30/17. Scroll down and look for the line in blue. The whole comment is awesome...
Posted by Pamela Kendall on 09/03/18
Wainwright and Dan I love your thoughts about light shining out of the vessel - makes me think of a paper lantern or better yet an old fashioned lamp chimney... As God cleanses the soot (sin) from our lamp chimney his light shines through brighter and brighter to guide others on the way to Jesus because sin stops blocking or distorting the light from God's word we are trying to preach Psalms 119:105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. ; Proverbs 4:18But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
Posted by Dan Vis on 09/03/18

Glad this was a blessing to each of you!

Fred, it is all three of those things at the same time, isn't it? And I appreciate your observation that it not only helps us understand our value in a health way, it helps us understand the value of others!

Right Pam! What room is there to boast, when we realize great success only comes through great weakness! Flips everything upside down, doesn't it.

And I love that picture of the cracked clay pot Wainwright. The glory is like light shining out to fill the room, not like water leaking out and seeping into the ground...

Posted by Wainwright Phillip on 09/03/18
Unlike water in a container seems the glory of God (Jesus) was made to shine through the container with holes without the glory being diminished! treasure leaking everywhere you go.!
Posted by Pamela Kendall on 09/03/18
Love this memo! So beautiful... and to think what makes us seem "un-valuable" to ourselves and others (our faults and weakness and lack of qualifications) make God's glory shine out all the more clearly when we give them to him and let him cleanse and use us - for it makes it all the more clear that our success is due only to God Acts 4:13Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
Posted by J. Fred Calkins on 09/03/18
Awesome! Humbling! Challenging! First I have an improved understanding of my value; but more, I recognize the value of others so much better. Thank you for helping with this insight. Fred
Posted by Fiona van Wyk on 06/16/17

Valerie - A message for you from Zewdi.

I am copying a passage you wrote, Dan, in the article, and also what Qing mentioned too. It is an incredible piece ...

"Rather than 6000 years of sin diminishing our value, our weakened condition actually increases it! The poorer the frame, the more beautifully the portrait shines out. The weaker the vessel, the more perfectly God's grace can be seen."

Again, Dan, I love the picture you chose! Awesome!

Posted by Dan Vis on 06/14/17
Love the imagery Merilyn! Pitched my tent in the land of hope... Nice.
Posted by Merilyn Aveling-Rowe on 06/08/17

Qing I I love your picture of the cracked old clay vase made beautiful because of the light of God shining through.

There's hope for me yet!

Acts 2:28Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance. Not only made beautiful but

"glad from the inside out, ecstatic;
    I’ve pitched my tent in the land of hope...

You’ve got my feet on the life-path,
    with your face shining sun-joy all around.   (paraphrase from The Message Bible)

Joy, light, hope, life.   What blessings God gives!

Posted by Dan Vis on 06/06/17
Amen! Thanks for sharing that wonderful testimony. God is indeed so good, and we are all so much the richer together when we share the precious insights He gives us individually. Glad you are a part of our community Zewdi! Now we just need to get a picture up there. :)
Posted by Zewdi Isaac Enbom on 06/05/17
Thanks Valerie for the verse. I am amazed everyday to read all those beautiful verses posted on the comment boxes for the different topics that we are studying. And I start praising God for His powerful Words and I say to myself God has given us all the answers we need if we would only take time and study His Word diligently and apply it in our livess. Thanks every.
Zewdi
Posted by Dan Vis on 06/02/17

Thanks Zewdi for making that important application of this principle: that this capacity God has entrusted us with puts a responsibility on us to become all we can through the power of God's Word! Exactly right...

Valerie, thanks for your comments also. As both a pastor and a teacher for many years, I have seen the same thing in many of the people I work with. It is not always difficult to help people believe from the heart they are truly valuable and important, but it can have such a tremendous impact! Keep up the good work you are doing...

Posted by Valerie Wise Burrell on 06/02/17
I am so blessed by all of the insights shared here. Pastor Dan, this was a particularly important post today. As a clinical therapist, I have the privilege to work with precious souls who have been given a lie about their worth due to early life circumstances. And as a Christian who is a therapist, I get to share the Good News that God loves them (us) more than we can even think or imagine in His Son, Jesus Christ.
Zewdi's post reminds me of this text Philippians 3:21Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.. Thanks to everyone for their insights.
Posted by Zewdi Isaac Enbom on 06/01/17

How reassuring and encouraging it is to understand the value God has bestowed upon us. He has chosen us to have the capacity to contain some measure of the glory of God within us, and reflect that glory to others. i.e. His Character. And He is waiting for us to be willing to be molded to reveal this Character to the entire waiting universe.

This demands from us to earnestly seek to understand the Power of God’s Word and to apply it in our life, so that the light in us will shine brightly enough to be seen by others and draw others to hunger for this light.
Praise be to God and Jesus Christ our Savior for choosing us to be the earthly vessels.

Posted by Dan Vis on 05/30/17

Qing, you are pretty amazing! You make connections quicker than I do... :)

Agreed Ajay, those parables all take on new light when viewed from that perspective!

Posted by Ajay Nenavathu on 05/30/17
This is a very good subject....Satan treys to get us to believe that we are not worth it, and that our faults are to grate... ect... Joy I liked your idea of applying this parable to Jesus searching for us... all three of the parables here could be applied to Jesus searching for us..... Defiantly a new way of looking at the last 2
Posted by Qing Ling on 05/30/17

Dan - I figured you were referencing the stuff about the lighting rods and earth lightened with His glory thing from your FSAT book when I read the following:

And also: And one day soon He will gather together believers from around the world faithfully revealing the Father's glory to the universe, and settling the issues in the great controversy between good and evil forever.

Posted by Dan Vis on 05/30/17

Great comments everyone! I love the word picture you drew Qing, of a clay vase with holes and cracks letting out the light within. The bigger the holes and cracks, the more glorious the light! Beautiful...

And I hadn't really connected this with the endtime Gospel. Revelation 14:6-76 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, 7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters. is pretty clear it really is about giving glory to God!

Glad this could be a blessing Deanna! I like to think of it not as some value "placed on us", but a value created in us innately at creation--and seen in us by a God whose vision is clearer than ours. That is, God doesn't see something in us that is not there, we don't see something in us that is there. :)

And love your prayer Ann! I think most of the comments above relate how understanding affects our own self-concept. But it should have just as great an impact or more, on how we look at others! That's actually why I shared this topic. Next month's challenge is all about sharing with others...

Posted by Deanna Dekle on 05/30/17
Awesome thoughts! I've been praying for just this that my son would see the great love God has for him Jeremiah 31:3The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.. Love awakens love. When we understand the value God has placed on us, we begin to return that love-which becomes the process of changing us. We reach out and take in godly things and let go of the sinful. Then Matthew 11:28-3028 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. becomes a really. The heavy yoke of sin is replaced by the glorious freedom within Christ and in place of guilt and shame we find joy and peace. What a beautiful blessing of fellowship!!
Posted by Ann Lavenburg on 05/30/17
This value helps me keep a positive attitude toward those individuals that have especially objectionable traits of character. Jesus died for them too. Please Lord, help to develop into a loving and lovable Christian instead of one that people would want to avoid heaven if he/she was there. And help me to see where I need to be more like Jesus.
Posted by Qing Ling on 05/30/17

As always, I love the new perspectives on God's Word that FAST Missions expounds through sermons/articles.

I think of a clay vase, with cracks all over, holes here and there... allowing the beautiful light of God to shine through, and making the vase a beautiful piece of art in itself because of the light glowing within it.
John 3:30He must increase, but I must decrease. - less of me and more of Him!

I especially love the connection of this thought of earthen vessels with the end-time message, revealing the glory of God ..and then shall the end come. Matthew 24:14And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Posted by Carole Bliss on 05/29/17
Nothing is more meaningful, than to be reminded of our value.
No place can we go to hear the words, as quoted in christ Object Lessons,
of the value of a soul, realizing that Jesus would go through all He did, for just one soul.
What a God we have. May we never forget His amazing love for us.
Thank-you for this message.
Posted by Dan Vis on 05/29/17
Shanthi, praise God this was a blessing. :)
Posted by Shanthi Solomon on 05/29/17

Thank you so much Dan. This message surely opened my eyes. Joy, what an amazing thought. It brings to mind the book by TGibson- An Endless Falling in Love. We are the crowning act of creation and that means there is a very high purpose for mankind.

Once again thank you for this beam of light that removes one more layer of dust over my understanding of who I am for God.

Posted by Dan Vis on 05/29/17

Thanks for sharing Linda, Aaron, and Konni! Love the verses and quotes.

Surely this topic is worth sharing widely. Please feel free to mention in on social media, etc. The shortcut links is fast.st/152. Or just use the buttons to your side. Thanks!

Posted by Konni Plue on 05/29/17
Thank you Pastor Dan for this teaching on the value of a soul. Oh how this truth must move from my mind to the deepest part of my heart. I think of Psalms 15:2He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.. I long to move from knowing I am valuable to loving others because my heart speaks the truth about them.... every one of them. Thank you sisters in Christ for your powerful posts.
Posted by Aaron Wilson on 05/29/17

Amen!

I John 3:1-31 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. (KJV) Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

What a value this places upon man! Through transgression the sons of man become subjects of Satan. Through faith in the atoning sacrifice of Christ the sons of Adam may become the sons of God. By assuming human nature, Christ elevates humanity. Fallen men are placed where, through connection with Christ, they may indeed become worthy of the name “sons of God.” SC 15.1

Such love is without a parallel. Children of the heavenly King! Precious promise! Theme for the most profound meditation! The matchless love of God for a world that did not love Him! The thought has a subduing power upon the soul and brings the mind into captivity to the will of God. The more we study the divine character in the light of the cross, the more we see mercy, tenderness, and forgiveness blended with equity and justice, and the more clearly we discern innumerable evidences of a love that is infinite and a tender pity surpassing a mother’s yearning sympathy for her wayward child. SC 15.2

Posted by Linda Elliott on 05/29/17
As I read this, I thought about I Samuel 16:7But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.. Those external qualities always get our attention & admiration. It is so important to keep in mind that God's perspective is far different from ours. It makes all the difference in the world when we see ourselves & others through God's eyes & with His perspective & not our own, which is skewed by sin & selfishness & pride. Thank you for giving this teaching on the value of a soul.
Posted by Dan Vis on 05/29/17

That was a powerful insight Joy! I've always thought that parable reveals how motivation is inspired by seeing value in something. Never quite thought about how it explains the motivation of Jesus to seek and save the lost. But it makes great sense!

Great posts Marieanne. The first quote illustrates so beautifully how the cross of Christ reveals our value. It doesn't give us our value, but it shows how great our value is. And the second shows that our value is already there: we're "a piece of silver still". The latter quote also highlight the basis of our value--the capacity of the coin, from its creation, to once again have the "image and inscription" traced upon it!

Great posts!