Six Reasons To Memorize
October 16, 2016

Several years back, John Piper posted a nice piece at his blog called Why Memorize Scripture. You can probably find newer, and possibly better posts on the subject, but I liked his list just fine, and thought I would summarize his six reasons here:

1) Conformity to Christ
Internalizing Scripture allows us to be transformed into the image of Christ. Meditation changes us, as our thoughts shift to become more in sync with His.

2) Victory over Sin
The Bible makes it clear, having God's Word in the heart gives power to resist temptation. Human weakness urgently needs this power!

3) Victory over the Enemy
Jesus not only used Scripture to overcome Satan during his temptation in the wilderness, He recounted the story to his disciples so we would know how to do it too.

4) Counsel for loved ones
Having God's Word in our heart prepares us to share encouragement, hope, and faith with friends and families at a moment's notice. We rarely have time in a crisis to pull out our concordance and dig out some promise.

5) Communicating the Gospel
Careful memorization of verses on the Gospel not only equips us to witness, it facilitates our internalization of its principles, so we can share it practically. It also gives us answers to common objections.

6) The Enjoyment of God
His last reason is one of my personal favorites: the joy that comes from simply reflecting on God's character and ways. Memorizing verses that inspire worship and praise, would give a healthier emotional tone to many of our lives.

He misses the most important reason, perhaps, which is simply that God commands it. But the reasons he does give, while not exhaustive, are certainly important ones. And as noted in his closing line, the rest are there for us to discover through the adventure of actually memorizing!

PS. Here's my review of another article from his blog entitled Five Tips for Memorizing Scripture by David Mathis.

Comments

So what do you see as the most important reason to memorize? Feel free to chime in and leave a comment below:

Posted by Stella Tigere on 04/17/17
Conformity to Christ for me is the best because we told in COL 69.1 "Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own." This my hope and trust that I will be taken when He shall appear. I also believe once my character is conformed to Christ I shall be able to overcome as He deed. By the word
Posted by Merilyn Aveling-Rowe on 04/16/17

It's not till you actually DO IT that you experience the truth in that article.

And it's amazing to me how as a PK (preachers kid) I never realised it is a command of God!

I guess the Israelites weren't so bad after all! We've been just as blind.

I'm thankful for "seeing it " now.

Action. Habit. Blessing. I'm learning that!

Posted by Dan Vis on 04/07/17

Glad you are here Wanda!

Thanks Robyn Pearl Hattingh and Christine for being part of the Breakout Memory Challenge. It was a blessing, wasn't it?

Posted by Christine Godfrey on 04/07/17
Yes I can testify to the fact that memorization and meditation changes our thoughts and feelings. I began memorizing and studying 1 John the love book, for the purpose of being changed, and that is exactly what happened. I am far more compassionate and tender hearted than I used to be and by the grace of God I will be like Him when he comes.
Posted by Robyn Pearl Hattingh on 04/05/17
Wow.through the 30day challenge I've seen these come true in my life.
I thank God and I praise His name for this ministry and for all of you!
God bless you!
Posted by Wanda on 01/02/17
praise god i made it here .
Posted by Dan Vis on 10/27/16
Very true Clara! Some great promises to claim.
Posted by Clara Peredo on 10/27/16
I am grateful for God's holy word. When I memorize his scripture he will instruct me and guide me in the way I should go. His words comfort me and I have the confidence he will answer when I call upon him. His word is perfect, just and true. His word are righteousness. I was able to learn who is God through His word.
Posted by Dan Vis on 10/26/16
Thanks Fiona! Having God's Word in the heart makes it easier for the Spirit to bring its words to mind just when we need them. I've had that experience many times. Great reason to memorize!
Posted by Fiona van Wyk on 10/25/16

I appreciated John Piper's reasons for memorizing Scripture, Dan. The one I have found really useful is number four : Counsel for loved ones - this one is so handy when comforting friends and family in hard times. I do not need the Bible on hand then - it is in the mind! Praise the Lord! A word in season ... :)

Posted by Dan Vis on 10/23/16
It is true, isn't it Becky Rich! God is so good to us--and memorizing His promises make that goodness even more real to us. Thanks for your comment!
Posted by Becky Rich on 10/20/16
I've loved memorizing God's word. While I am far from perfect, and often hard on myself, I find in God's word a Savior who loves me dearly and wants only the best for me. As I learn His promises they are in my heart forever and nobody or nothing can take that away from me.